Thursday 11 May 2023

Brock's Battle


Throughout this series of "insights on the chapters," I have focused mainly on my connection to the chapter or why I wrote certain things. For this chapter, we need to have a chat about the artist.

Tabitha Hanson is, in my opinion, one of the most talented and incredible artists that I have ever known... and I've known quite a few artists. She not only has great skill, but a heart of love, creativity, and joy. Back when I knew her in college, I was super intimidated by her unique style and pleasant personality. She just was so artistic and creative and altogether amazing, I never thought I could measure up. With every ounce of my being I wished we could be friends. And somehow, we connected. Not in a deep, forever friendship kind of way at the time, but just enough that I felt privileged to be able to chat with her sometimes and feel like she actually liked me enough to spend time together.

A few years ago, my sweet Jersey dog passed away. Jersey was a therapy dog who would work with me in volunteering to help those struggling with anxiety or just needing some encouragement. Through Instagram, Tabitha reached out to me again and sent me a drawing of Jersey. It meant the world to me. I don't know why she did it or what made her think of me in that moment since we hadn't talked in years, but it changed something for me. 


I started writing my book shortly after and asked a few people about thoughts on the cover art, and then I stumbled across that picture of Jersey. I remembered how talented Tabitha is, and how kind-hearted, and I thought I would reach out, not expecting much. To be honest, I don't play well with others when it comes to a project like this. I am, unfortunately, easily hurt and discouraged with negative comments. So reaching out to friends to see if they would be willing to join me in a project of this magnitude was way outside my comfort zone. Yet, knowing her personality from many years ago, I felt like we could collaborate well together. 

And we did! The cool thing was that Tabitha went above and beyond for my project and through it all we really clicked on ideas. She read the book, gave me helpful insights, drew pictures for every chapter, and even sent extras for fun! In fact, she often had multiple pictures per chapter for me to choose from, but for some reason I didn't always know where they should go because I liked them all. So I started placing things where they seemed to fit, and where there wasn't an obvious picture I placed something I thought would go fairly well with the chapter. The only chapter where I couldn't figure out what picture she was drawing to match the chapter was this one, Chapter 17. After sorting through the rest of the pictures, there were still 3-4 extras to choose from for this chapter. One of them she had named "Reverse Tulip." I have to be honest with you, I did a word search through the book document to see where I had mentioned a reverse tulip, because how cool does that sound, but I never once mentioned it. Yet, of all the pictures, this one was perhaps one of my absolute favourites. Even though it really doesn't connect with this chapter at all, I couldn't help myself and threw it in. I can't remember, did I change some wording in the chapter so it would match? I don't think so...but perhaps. 

Anyway, if it weren't for Tabitha's kindness, gentle spirit, and creativeness, I don't know if I would have ever finished this project. She is like a real-life fairy princess to me, surrounded by magic, and I am so glad we have reconnected as friends and pen pals again. 

Thanks, Tabitha. I look forward to our next project together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Have You Been?!

For those of you who follow my page, you may have noticed a lot of silence lately. Some of you have even asked the question, why aren't ...