Friday 25 June 2021

Bragg Creek



My first introduction to Bragg Creek, a small hamlet in Kananaskis country, was many years ago. All I remember is that the one coffee shop on the corner might look a bit old but it had good pie. Not being much of a pie person myself, I would always look for something along the lines of a puffed wheat square or cinnamon bun. It wasn't until much later that I discovered I was allergic to cinnamon.

Fast forward to a few years ago when I returned to the touristy town of Bragg Creek to check it out. It had changed. No longer the half run-down, half rich community I remembered (possibly incorrectly), it was rejuvenated, redone, and repaired, for the most part. The great flood of 2013 had ravaged the town and it was clear that changes had been made in the repair process. However, the beauty of the surroundings hadn't changed and the cute, corner cafe called the Cinnamon Spoon was busier than ever; although I am not entirely fond of being allergic to an entire cafe and not being able to enter due to the overwhelming smell of cinnamon. That being said, I had to find an alternate snack joint. 

Hence, Scoops and Snacks. Ideal for the ice cream connoisseur. But more on that another day.

I fell in love with the beauty of this quaint, tiny town. I love the close drive to a beautiful waterfall, the park to go snowshoeing and hiking, and the river to meander down with the overheated dog. I love the friendly deer that approached my dog. I love that I don't have to worry about them eating my garden. I love visiting this town and then going home to the city to my comfortable bed. I love day trips to adventurous places.


I chose to write about Bragg Creek because it made the most sense since I live so close and know a little bit about the area. It is surrounded by forest, a beautiful place for elves to visit, and has the best opportunity for a discrete wicket placement. Also, I think more people need to know about the beauty of Alberta. All illustrations from The Wicket of Silvus are also by an Alberta-based illustrator. Some of them even make me hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Have You Been?!

For those of you who follow my page, you may have noticed a lot of silence lately. Some of you have even asked the question, why aren't ...