Wednesday 1 March 2023

Combat Training

 

In the history of writing blog posts to correspond with chapters in my book, I have done my best not to talk about the chapter itself, but more the feeling around the chapter or anecdotes about the info in the chapter. Clearly we don't want any spoilers. 

This time I want to discuss the writing of chapter 9. When I reached the end of writing this book, The Wicket of Silvus, I had 19 chapters. If you know me at all, I cringe at awkward or uncomfortable numbers, such as 19. It needed an additional chapter. I tried to think of what to add, but I felt I had concluded the book so nicely that I didn't want to tack on a random chapter. 

And so Chapter 9 was born. Yes, you heard that right, I added a chapter directly in the middle of my book because I couldn't handle an odd number of chapters. Yet somehow it actually fits! Reading it through a hundred times, it still felt cohesive in the book and added depth of character that may have been missing. 

It was my puzzle box of the book. How to fit one more chapter in without messing up what was already complete. And it worked...I think. Let me know what you think? Did you notice it was an "add-on"?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Have You Been?!

For those of you who follow my page, you may have noticed a lot of silence lately. Some of you have even asked the question, why aren't ...