Monday 21 February 2022

Company of Misfits


Oftentimes, inspiration can be found in the most unlikely of places. For many stories or adventures in The Wicket of Silvus, the inspiration is the incredible, sometimes quirky, and very odd moments that make up my life. In fact, on a regular basis I will message a friend and tell her what happened that day and the response I receive is, "How?! How do these things always happen to you?" I'm not sure, to be honest, but it makes for great writing material.

However, sometimes inspiration comes from unusual sources. For example, a few years ago I was in a tough place in my life. I was sad and tried to find moments of humour in watching comedic YouTubers. One of my favourites, at the time, was Brandon Farris. I can't recommend all of his videos, as some are just a bit too out there for my taste, but there are many that are quite enjoyable. I'd have to say that the video below is my all-time favourite. I could just imagine this ridiculous energy put into someone well-trained in swordsmanship, and perhaps a tad bit more brave, and I could immediately see how reaction times would be faster than anticipated. 

Megildur (meaning: sword) was created during one of those moments where I needed a bit more of this ridiculous joy in my life and my book, and he is bursting with excited energy and ready to accompany our travellers on their adventure. Hopefully they never come across a spider along the way. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Have You Been?!

For those of you who follow my page, you may have noticed a lot of silence lately. Some of you have even asked the question, why aren't ...